Dave Sherratt offers valuable insight into the nature of Autism, Asperger syndrome and other associated conditions, and the particular challenges that present when teaching and supporting children on the spectrum. This book includes:
• clear principles for appropriate teaching
• a positive approach to developing relationships with socially and emotionally detached children
• a wealth of strategies and activities for developing skills in the key areas of engagement with others, communication and creativity
• practical advice on supporting children on the autism spectrum in a school and classroom environment
• ideas for training and supporting those who work with children with autism.
Contains photocopiable resources and ideas and materials for in-service training.
Paperback. Contains 64 A4 pages.
Contents include: Introduction. What does it mean to be on the autism spectrum? Teaching children on the autism spectrum. Supporting a shared understanding of other people. Supporting communication. Supporting play and creativity. Supporting work and positive behaviour. Supporting everyone involved. Resources.